A hangover is pretty much the exact opposite of what happens to your body when you’re drunk.
“Hangovers are easy to explain because they’re basically a mini withdrawal syndrome.” – George Koob, PhD, director of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
In a nutshell, here’s how it works…
- Drinking dulls pain, so a hangover increases pain.
- Alcohol blocks anxiety symptoms and lowers heart rate, so when you’re hungover, anxiety and heart rate can sky-rocket.
- Alcohol makes you sleepy, so a hangover disrupts your sleep patterns and keeps you awake.
- Alcohol increases endorphins (makes you feel great), so a hangover makes you feel lousy, because your now have an endorphin deficit.
- Alcohol releases dopamine (which controls the reward and pleasure centers of the brain), so with a hangover, your dopamine levels will be low, which translates into a lack of motivation, fatigue, mood swings and memory loss.
There’s a lot more, but you get the point, right? Your body goes into withdrawal and it’s very difficult to reduce or even eliminate the way you will feel after a night of drinking.
But, here’s the good news! I created a pretty simple recipe that helps your body recover from a hangover much more quickly and lessens the severity of the hangover to a very manageable state!
First, let me tell you the recipe and then I’ll explain why each ingredient works so well…
16 oz. Purified Water
5-10 drops of Cayenne Pepper
1-2 teaspoons, Apple Cider Vinegar
1-2 tablespoons Honey
By the way, one of the great things about this recipe is that you really quickly get all of this into a bottle and then have it ready to rock when you’re done drinking. Have it by your bed (or with you), so you can drink it all before going to sleep.
HOW IT WORKS
Here’s why these ingredients create a mini super-tonic that helps protect your body:
- Purified Water – Alcohol steals water from your body, so the first and most important step is to hydrate before passing out for the night. Some people recommend coconut water and that’s fine, but it does have a lot of sugar and since we are adding honey, I think that might be a little too much, so I prefer plain water. Plus, purified water is the perfect base for this recipe.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This amazing stuff is rich in natural minerals, vitamins and enzymes. ACV helps to break up mucus throughout the body and cleanse the lymph nodes, which allows for better lymph circulation. A healthy lymphatic system can remove toxins from the cells in the body while improving immune system response. Oh yeah, and recent studies have shown that it helps with weight loss and control blood sugar and insulin levels.
- Cayenne Pepper – This is the single greatest aid for increasing circulation in the body. It’s like a freight train, helping nutrients get to where they need to go AND helping your body remove those nasty toxins. Cayenne also functions well as a pain reliever.
- Raw Honey – Also high in anti-oxidants and rich in potassium, honey also contains a type of sugar that helps metabolize the extra alcohol in the body, which reduces hangover symptoms. Also, it tastes amazing, obviously!
The last thing I will say about getting rid of a hangover is this… SWEAT! Go to the gym or the sauna, or just exercise somehow. You will feel terrible for the first 20-30 minutes and then when you sweat out the rest of the toxins, you will feel amazing!
The information on this site is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes. This information is not intended to be patient education, does not create any patient-physician relationship, and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment.